Why are so few tank gauges successfully connected to the Internet?

Major Oil Companies now own less than 5% of all C-Stores in the USA. Between 2003 and 2008 the major Oil Companies sold their stores. These stores, now independently owned, but often branded, no longer have a secure and well managed communications infrastructure which was provided by the Oil Companies WAN’s or satellite communication. Without this infrastructure, the common TCP/IP polling technology used to monitor tank gauges is unuseable or costly to operate. In addition the telephone companies went to digital telephone lines making telephone modem tank gauge polling unreliable. Today, according to NACS, 60% of the C-Store fueling stations, around 70,000 stations are owned by “single owner operators”, most of them acquired from the major Oil Companies. The remaining 40% are owned or managed by chains which provide an IT infrastructure that supports the TCP/IP polling technology. The IT infrastructure at these chains is expensive to maintain and secure and after break ins such as at Target stores, IT managers concerns restrict tank gauge communications and make them expensive to install and operate. Most of the 60% of C-stores now have Internet connections due the demands of Internet based credit card processing and the low cost of simple Internet connections. Although these Internet connections may be PCI compliant, PCI compliance only addresses credit card processing. These Internet connections do not provide the public IP address required by the TCP/IP polling technology . In addition their routers are unmanaged which makes installation and maintenance expensive, complex and insecure. (The router needs firewall, port forwarding and dynamic DNS configuration. Access to the router is required by numerous parties which becomes a security and maintenance nightmare.)